Who is it for? K – 8 classroom teachers and student support teams
Day 1: Conscious Classroom Management: Creating the Classroom Environment You’ve Always Wanted
Day 1 of this two day workshop “Conscious Classroom Management” addresses these questions, giving K-8 teachers practical, hands on strategies that can be used right away to prevent student misbehavior and to intervene effectively when prevention techniques fail.
This day will focus on improving your classroom environment. Learn and practise dozens of practical, easy to implement techniques to reduce arguing and off-task behaviours and increase clarity and calm, and have fun doing it! All participants, regardless of grade level, experience, or student population, will walk away with the following:
- 5 non-verbal strategies to help keep kids focused and on-task.
- 4 ways to de-escalate tension and reduce arguing.
- 3 ways to use consequences to teach behavioural lessons, rather than to punish.
- 2 assumptions that allow teachers to skillfully manage their classrooms.
- 1 proven method for connecting with our most reluctant or challenging students
- A dozen simple strategies for smoother classroom transitions.
Day 2: Rebels with Applause: Brain Compatible Approaches for Motivating Reluctant Learners
On the second day we will look at why standard teaching models don’t always work with reluctant learners. We will investigate how we address our “rebel” students who seem to have the hardest time paying attention and getting work done. Recent research on the brain reveals some of the reasons why these students struggle. “Rebels with Applause,” offers practical classroom strategies based on this research which will help get “rebel” students of varying abilities and learning styles involved and motivated, and help them retain more.
Day 2 is another fun and fast-paced day where you will learn strategies to improve the attention, participation, and academic learning of your students who struggle the most. Learn and practise simple, yet innovative and easy to apply techniques that will get your most reluctant students more motivated and involved. Do you have students who don’t pay attention, don’t try, or just aren’t learning? We have the solutions. All participants, regardless of grade level, experience, or student population, will walk away with the following:
- 10 active engagement strategies for involving students deeply in their learning.
- 8 participation strategies that gently, but firmly, put kids “on the hook” for learning and trying.
- 4 techniques for getting and maintaining any student’s attention.
- Current neuroscience that supports each of the above strategies.