Day 1, AM: Origin, Foundations & Imperatives of Design Thinking in K-12
Description: Both introduction and deep dive, this module looks at the foundations of design thinking, what it offers to K-12 education, and an exploration of the pitfalls in common implementations.
- Develop a working understanding of Design Thinking, in theory and practice
- Compare & contrast Design Thinking implementations in K-12 schools
- Review curated, relevant research on Design Thinking
- Explore what Design Thinking can and cannot do in a K-12 setting
Day 1, PM: Learning Design by Doing Design, Part 1
Description: Get into the details and embrace a real design challenge as a means to learn how to implement Design Thinking in your classroom, school or district.
- Appraise the necessity for empathy as the foundation of design
- Deconstruct the d.school model: Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype, Test
- Develop & conduct a design challenge, start to finish
Day 2, AM: Learning Design by Doing Design, Part 2
Description: Solidify your learning while you ponder the implications of the tools you’ve just learned and how they might impact your own professional practice.
- Develop their own working definition of Design Thinking
- Evaluate current instructional programs through a Design Thinking lens
- Re-imagine an existing (or new) unit taught via Design Thinking
Day 2, PM: How Design Thinking can inform Curriculum & Pedagogy at Scale
Description: Dive more deeply into best practices Design Thinking in K-12 (including how it impacts assessment) and develop a ‘path forward’ relevant to your environment.
- Compare & contrast Design Thinking and the Engineering Design Process
- Dissect, critique best practice Design Thinking curricula
- Explore assessment techniques and tools
- Develop a ‘path forward’ for your classroom, school or district